Updated October 28, 2021 | BestCollegeReviews.org Staff
Discover New York Scholarships
Accumulating enough wealth to afford your collegiate reign in the "Empire State" is possible when you're crowned the winner of New York scholarships. Nestled between the Atlantic Ocean and the Great Lakes, New York is America's fourth most populous state with 19.79 million residents. New York City 's five boroughs attract around 594,000 college students per year. Young adults are often draw to New York's booming job market, pizza perfection, Finger Lakes wineries, Long Island beaches, sports rivalries, rugged Adirondack Mountains, and historic landmarks like the Statue of Liberty. New Yorkers also choose from 84 public and 175 private colleges. Many of the top public 火豹电竞娱乐官方 in New York offer online programs of study from the associate’s degree up to the master’s. Some top-ranked options include the Rochester Institute of Technology, Fordham University, Syracuse University, SUNY Buffalo, Cornell University, and St. Bonaventure University. Columbia University, an Ivy League royal, was even ranked fifth nationally by the U.S. News. Make New York your land of opportunity with tuition help from the following 5 great scholarships.
Featured Online Schools
The New York Women in Communications (NYWICI) offers 15 to 20 scholarships annually ranging from $2,500 to $10,000 each for female undergrads and post-grads. For instance, the Hearst Scholarship celebrates women committed to careers in the magazine industry. The Esperanza Scholarship supports Hispanic ladies who’ve chosen media professions. All applications are due on the last Friday of January.
- Reside in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, or Pennsylvania
- Pursue a communications-related major, including journalism, marketing, advertising, and public relations
- Carry a minimum 3.2 GPA and full-time enrollment at accredited U.S. colleges
The Textile Study Group of New York (TSGNY) administers the Nancy and Harry Koenigsberg Fiber Art Student Award, which provides a $1,500 scholarship and free one-year membership. Artistic college students from 12 states, including New York, could apply until May 1st. Please submit a 100-word artist’s statement, one-page resume, student ID, and original artworks.
- Matriculate at an accredited four-year college on the East Coast
- Pursue a bachelor’s or master’s degree in the fine arts
- Present a creative portfolio of 10 high-quality fiber artworks
- Display various textile techniques, such as crochet, beadwork, and embroidery
Ranging from $2,500 to $20,000 each, the Ascend Educational Fund (AEF) serves to “Elevate our Community Through Higher Education” with multiple scholarships each year. Regardless of citizenship status, the program rewards immigrants for their strong work ethic, perseverance against adversity, and leadership promise. Online applications remain open from November 1st to February 2nd.
- Be born outside the United States or have two immigrant parents
- Graduate from a high school in the New York City boroughs
- Matriculate full-time at any accredited public or private college
- Submit progress reports showing a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better
Since 1996, the Financial Service Centers of New York (FSCNY) has partnered with MoneyGram International to gift $753,000 in annual scholarships. One such opportunity is the William Siegel Scholarship Award, which is worth $2,000 to $7,500. Before March 6th, interested NYC natives must submit a transcript, supervisor’s recommendation letter, and 250-word essay about their rewarding experiences with community service.
- Be graduating seniors at public high 火豹电竞娱乐官方 in New York City or Westchester County
- Display academic promise for attending an accredited two- or four-year college
- Have shown civic leadership with at least 50 valuable hours of volunteer work
The Community Foundations of the Hudson Valley oversees more than 50 New York scholarships, such as the ATHENA Adult Scholarship for $1,000 to $2,000. This merit-based program supports returning, non-traditional female students pursuing degrees or vocational certificates. Applications due on April 1st must feature a resume, two references, and a 500-word essay about how a woman has influenced your career.
- Maintain permanent residency in Dutchess County
- Have graduated high school at least five years ago
- Intend to enroll full- or part-time at a New York State college
- Possess community service and work experience
Taking a bite out of tuition bills in the "Big Apple" or Upstate is important. For the 2016-17 school year, the average annual tuition at New York colleges was $6,522 for in-state and $20,815 for out-of-state residents. Prices can climb higher than the Empire State Building at certain universities though. For example, Vassar College in Poughkeepsie bills a total cost of attendance at $68,110 per year before aid! Financial assistance opportunities are fortunately widespread to shoulder the costs without deep debt. Along with these 5 best New York scholarships, apply for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) and/or NYS Aid for Part-Time Study.
Know of a scholarship available specifically for New York students that we missed? Contact us .