Updated October 28, 2021 | BestCollegeReviews.org Staff
Discover Scholarships for Michigan
Setting sail for a successful collegiate career in the "Great Lakes State" could be more affordable with scholarships for Michigan. Admitted to the Union in 1837, Michigan stands in the Upper Midwest as America's 10th most populous state with approximately 9.92 million people. College students are often attracted to Michigan's auto industry, boating on 64,980 inland lakes, Motown music, and stunning scenery like Sleeping Bear Dunes. Michigan also offers a diverse set of 98 colleges from rural Olivet to bustling Detroit. Top-notch degree options include Michigan State University, Michigan Tech University, Calvin College, Madonna University, and Oakland University. In fact, the U.S. News ranked the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor as the fourth top public college. Whichever school you pick, the 5 following Michigan scholarships can keep your higher learning goals afloat.
Featured Online Schools
Scholarships ranging from $250 to $2,500 are given by the Alpena Community College Foundation annually to support new or returning students. For example, the Jennie J. Grezlak Memorial Scholarship picks full-time ACC Lumberjacks who are earning the Associate of Arts in Elementary Education. The John E. Leask Sr. Memorial Scholarship selects scientific students from Alpena County majoring in biology. Applications are due on March 20th for all.
- Already hold a high school diploma or GED
- Matriculate for 6+ credits in any associate or certificate program
- Meet the fund’s academic requirements (usually a 3.0 GPA)
- Demonstrate unmet financial need on their FAFSA
The Grand Rapids Community Foundation (GRCF) has a general application for 50+ funds, such as the Joshua Esch Mitchell Aviation Scholarship. This $1,000, merit-based program helps Michigan students with a valid pilot’s certificate further their flight training in higher education. Before April 1st, interested candidates must submit a transcript, aviation recommendation letter, resume of achievements, and personal goals essay.
- Be United States citizens living in Kent County, Michigan
- Enroll full- or part-time at AABI-accredited flight 火豹电竞娱乐官方
- Major in aviation, aeronautical science, aeronautics, or similar fields
- Excel academically with a minimum overall GPA of 2.75
Since 2015, VILLA’s Join the Movement (JTM) initiative has awarded more than $100,000 in tuition assistance through the I Matter Scholarship. It’s designed to assist high school seniors from urban communities across 10 states, including Detroit, Michigan. Awards ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 apiece are presented after the March 31st deadline. Applications must include a 500-word statement about how students’ neighborhoods have shaped their lives and dreams.
- Live in a metropolitan area with a VILLA store
- Gain full-time admission to an accredited U.S. college
- Graduate with a secondary GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Exhibit active involvement in community service
Valued at $2,500, the Kreager Family Scholarship is one of the nearly 200 funds managed by the Kalamazoo Community Foundation each year. Since 2001, the need-based program has supported Michigan high school seniors who have lost a parent or both parents from death or abandonment. Preference is given to those at Gull Lake and South Haven 火豹电竞娱乐官方. Until March 1st, online applications are accepted with two recommendation forms.
- Be graduating from a Kalamazoo County high school
- Pursue an associate or bachelor’s degree full- or part-time
- Demonstrate significant financial need on the FAFSA
- Show great perseverance in overcoming adversity
Located in Lansing, the Michigan Society of Professional Engineers (MSPE) funds up to $33,500 in scholarships each year to support the next generation. The merit-based program supports promising freshmen who are constructing engineering careers at 火豹电竞娱乐官方 like Andrews University, Hope College, Ferris State University, and Grand Valley State University. Paper applications must arrive to MSPE chapter presidents by the first Friday of February.
- Graduate from high 火豹电竞娱乐官方 in Michigan
- Enter ABET-accredited, in-state colleges full-time
- Major in any engineering discipline from civil to aerospace
- Present an academic record with a 2.5 GPA or above
Getting your hands on a college degree in the "Mitten State" can be tough. Michigan currently has the United States' sixth least affordable 火豹电竞娱乐官方 with average tuition and fees at $11,600. The University of Michigan charges one of the highest out-of-state rates at $45,410 per year. Michigan's most expensive private school, Kalamazoo College, presently has a comprehensive annual fee of $53,931 for all. Financial aid is priceless in lowering these sticker prices for more manageable tuition bills. Along with these 5 scholarships for Michigan, consider state-based programs like the Michigan GEAR UP Grant and Children of Veterans Tuition Grant.
Know of a scholarship available specifically for Michigan students that we missed? Contact us .