Updated October 29, 2021 | BestCollegeReviews.org Staff
Discover Mississippi Scholarships
Planting a blooming career in the "Magnolia State" often begins with finding scholarships for Mississippi. Sprawling across 48,430 square miles on the Gulf Coast, Mississippi is America's 32nd most populous state with 2.99 million residents. College students are attracted by Mississippi's tropical climate, charming small towns, Blues music, catfish aquaculture, and natural beauty along the 440-mile Natchez Trace. Mississippi many colleges and universities in are offering online degrees and scholarships to accommodate new demands in education. Top-notch choices include Alcorn State University, Rust College, Jackson State University, William Carey University, and the University of Southern Mississippi. In fact, the U.S. News ranked the University of Mississippi as the 135th top college. Search for college deals even sweeter than Biloxi's root beer with the 5 Mississippi scholarships below.
The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Greater Huntsville Section provides a one-time $1,000 Robert L. Sackheim Engineering, Science & Math Scholarship. This merit-based program supports future aeronautics professionals who live in select Alabama and Mississippi counties, such as Alcorn, Chickasaw, Lafayette, Monroe, Pontotoc, and Tishomingo. The PDF application must be mailed before April 30th with an unofficial transcript and 500-word essay.
- Be graduating high school seniors in Greater Huntsville
- Gain admission at ABET-accredited, in-state colleges
- Pursue STEM majors for aerospace industry careers
- Excel academically with a cumulative GPA above 2.5
The Junior Auxiliary of Biloxi-Ocean Springs awards the Ann Wesson Memorial Scholarships for $500 to $2,000 each to honor the past president and tireless volunteer who was tragically killed in an airplane crash over Poland. It’s intended for local college-bound students who have merit and unmet financial need for higher education. Applications are accepted by high school counselors until March 24th.
- Live in Biloxi, D’Iberville, Woolmarket, Ocean Springs, St. Martin, or Vancleave
- Be graduating from a public or private Mississippi high school
- Show academic achievement with a minimum “B” average
- Engage as community advocates with children
The Community Foundation of Northwest Mississippi (CFNM) in Hernando currently manages 233 donor-established funds, including the Byron Keith Mallett Jr. Memorial Scholarship. This $1,000 annual award remembers the 13-year-old Christian boy whose life was cut tragically short by an accidental shooting. After the March 31st deadline, the Foundation reviews applicants’ transcripts, tax returns, references, and 500-word personal statements.
- Reside in Mississippi’s DeSoto County for 12+ months
- Be graduating from Lake Cormorant High School
- Practice a Christian religion and describe their faith walk
- Maintain good academic standing with a 3.0 GPA or higher
Established in 1914, the Rotary Club of Jackson follows its motto “Service Above Self” by providing one of the biggest Mississippi scholarships worth $4,000 per year for $16,000 total. The Mentor Scholarship Program seeks in-state high school seniors who display leadership in community service-oriented activities. Before March 31st, interested applicants must submit transcripts, FAFSA forms, three recommendations, and 350-word essays.
- Enter an accredited senior or junior college in Mississippi
- Achieve a minimum high school GPA of 3.0
- Score at least 18 on the ACT or 950 on the SAT
- Have a combined family income less than $60,000
At the University of Southern Mississippi, the Alumni Association created the Mary Loraine Peets Buffett Scholarship to provide women with $5,000 each year. It’s named after the Gulf Park College for Women graduate who was the mother of USM’s most noteworthy alumnus, singer Jimmy Buffett. Applying for this life-enriching opportunity must be completed before February 15th.
- Be incoming full-time (12+ credits) freshmen at Southern Miss
- Select majors in the College of Arts & Letters, such as English or music
- Display creativity and academic merit with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Need assistance paying the resident tuition rate of $3,829 per term
Hefty tuition bills aren't welcome in the "Hospitality State." The average yearly tuition in Mississippi is $3,942 in-state and $10,492 out-of-state. Certain 火豹电竞娱乐官方 tip the scales with significantly higher tuition expenses though. For example, Millsaps College presently sets full-time tuition at $34,810 annually. Financial aid is helpful to fill funding gaps and keep your degree attainable. Look toward these scholarships for Mississippi and the Mississippi Tuition Assistance Grant.
Know of a scholarship available specifically for Mississippi students that we missed? Contact us .